Species: Rangifer tarandus
Geographic Range: Canada, Alaska, Greenland, Northern Europe, Northern Asia
Size: 4 to 5 feet tall
Lifespan: up to 20 years
Conservation Status: Least concern
Find them with the hoof stock Map
- Reindeer are members of the deer family.
- Both male and female reindeer grow antlers.
- Antlers are shed completely and re-grown each year.
- Calves can stand on their own just minutes after birth.
- In North America we use the term “caribou” for wild individuals and “reindeer” for domesticated ones, in many parts of Europe and Asia, the word “reindeer” is used to describe all of them What we call caribou, they simply call”wild reindeer.”