September 3-October 31 Saturday-Sunday 11 a.m.- 4 p.m.
Also open October 17-18 11 a.m.- 4 p.m.
Closed Mondays for maintenanceexcept the following, 11 a.m.- 4 p.m.: Memorial Day, May 27 Labor Day, Sept. 2 Free rides May 13, June 17, July 15, August 19, Sept. 16
November 1, 2012 Closed until May 1, 2014
Please note: The carousel does not operate when the temperature is below 45 or above 95 degrees.
Tickets…Tickets are $2.00. Everyone on the carousel (except children under age 1) must have a ticket.
Children under age 3 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian, and that person must also have a ticket.
Anyone age 90 and older may ride free.
Location… Cafesjian’s Carousel is in St. Paul’s Como Park, just south of the Marjorie McNeely Conservatory and a few steps from the entrance to the conservatory and the zoo.
Directions to the park, a map, and information about the Conservatory, Zoo and Japanese Garden are available here.
Accessibility…Cafesjian’s Carousel can accommodate one wheelchair per ride. A special ramp provides access to the carousel platform, where one chariot has been modified so that a wheelchair can take the place of the chariot’s front seat.
Who Built It?
Cafesjian’s Carousel was built in 1914 by Philadelphia Toboggan Company. It is known as PTC 33 because it is the 33rd machine they made. The company employed German immigrants to do most of the carving and painting. The word “toboggan” in the company name is an old term for roller-coaster, which was the company’s original product.
Size and Weight.
The carousel is 50 feet across at the platform and 54 feet at the upper rim. It weighs 30 tons, all of which is supported by the center pole.
The carousel is named for Gerard L. Cafesjian, the man who contributed the major share of the money needed to rescue it from auction, restore it and build its new pavilion.
The non-profit community-based organization Our Fair Carousel, Inc., owns and operates Cafesjian’s Carousel.