HISTORY

Who Built It?

Cafesjian’s Carousel was built in 1914 by Philadelphia Toboggan Company. It is known as PTC 33 because it is the 33rd machine they made. The company employed German immigrants to do most of the carving and painting. The word “toboggan” in the company name is an old term for roller-coaster, which was the company’s original product.

Size and Weight.

The carousel is 50 feet across at the platform and 54 feet at the upper rim. It weighs 30 tons, all of which is supported by the center pole.

The Name.

The carousel is named for Gerard L. Cafesjian, the man who contributed the major share of the money needed to rescue it from auction, restore it and build its new pavilion.

Owner/Operator.

The non-profit community-based organization Our Fair Carousel, Inc., owns and operates Cafesjian’s Carousel.