Be Where You Belong. Experience the Wonders of Volunteering at Como Park Zoo & Conservatory.
Como Park Zoo and Conservatory features many fascinating connections between humans, plants and animals. Como’s mission is to inspire the public to value the presence of living things in our lives.
Annually more than 50 interns and 1500 volunteers work in partnership with staff to realize the mission of Como. Interns assist staff in animal and plant management, public education and visitor services and gain valuable educational career building experiences within Como’s unique zoological and botanical environments. Most Internship positions are offered each semester. All internships are unpaid.
CLICK HERE for more information & the Como Internship FAQ
Here are some of the ways you can be involved as a volunteer at Como. Please note that current opportunities vary based on availability and seasonal needs. Current volunteer position openings are noted on the application form.
- College Internships – Education, Horticulture, Marketing and Zoo internships are available throughout the year. Click on the link above for position applications and requirements.
- Visitor Greeter – Welcome and assist visitors in finding attractions and special activities. Share information about the day’s schedule
- Interpreter (Public Education) – Welcome visitors and help our guests enjoy a fulfilling zoo and conservatory experience by sharing information about animals, plants and the relationships among all living things.
- The Ordway Gardens Interpreter (Public Education) – Welcome and provide visitors with informationabout the Ordway Gardens and the Charlotte Partridge Ordway Japanese garden, including aspects common to Japanese gardens and the art of bonsai.
- Day Camp Assistant – Have fun with children as they learn about plants and animals. Assist teachers during weekday morning or afternoon sessions; Summer and Winter opportunities.
- Education Aide – Work side by side with Como Education staff assisting with classes and special events. Work with children and adults.
- Gardener Aide – Assist staff in the preparation and maintenance of horticultural displays. Indoor and outdoor seasonal positions.
- Projects and Events – If you are looking for a more seasonal schedule or a one-time project for a small group, there are several ways to be involved at Como. Projects for small groups or individuals include seasonal grounds maintenance and event support.
- Commissary Assistant – Assist zoo keepers in diet preparation, general housekeeping and other assigned tasks or projects. This position requires a weekly commitment of at least six months. Background in animal science education or animal husbandry experience required.
- Free training
- Valuable experience
- Gift shop discounts
- Newsletter subscriptions
- Invitations to special volunteer recognition events
How to Become a Volunteer
Join our volunteer team in just 2 easy steps:
1. Click here to complete our online volunteer application.
2. Wait to hear from us. We respond to all volunteer application requests.
Contact us by email at [email protected] or call 651-487-8252.